Bazaar logo: licence?

Mary Gardiner mary at puzzling.org
Wed Jul 9 00:17:20 BST 2008

Hi all,

I asked on IRC yesterday but didn't receive clarification: what is the
licencing of the Bazaar project logo?

There are currently two copies on Wikimedia Commons (Commons, unlike
many individual Wikipedias, requires that all content uploaded be Free)
which assert that the logo is GPL:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Bzr.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Bzr_icon_64.png

The latter uses the justification that "Bazaar is licensed under the GNU
GPL". I don't know that the licencing of the logo follows from that: the
logo does not ever seem to have ended up in bzr trunk's repository. It's
available on the wiki: http://bazaar-vcs.org/LogoOptions but the wiki
doesn't seem to be GPL.

It would be good to know if the logo is in fact GPL, both so that this
can either be affirmed at Commons or the files removed from Commons, and
for other reasons (jelmer said on IRC yesterday that bzr-gtk is
distributing the logo, for example).

-Mary