Plugin naming

Russel Winder russel.winder at concertant.com
Sun Jun 29 16:40:56 BST 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 10:21 -0500, John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> 3) The "bzr-" is redundant when installed into ~/.bazaar/plugins. The
> convention *could* be to have all the plugins installed as
> "bzrlib.plugins.bzr_rebase.XXX" and bzr_cvsps_import, etc.
>
> 4) If you actually read the error, bzr is suggesting the proper name:

I did indeed read the comment, but as ever I try things that people
might try as well as what is being stated they should do.

> ^-- "try renaming it to 'rebase'." We don't suggest "bzr_rebase" and you
> are second guessing our recommendation.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that the name of the branch
appears to be a free variable.  However there is clearly a rule of
naming that should be followed.  I would suggest that a certain amount
of enforcement be required.  If the branch provides bzr-rebase then when
it is looked up in ~/.bazaar/plugins then it should be called rebase and
if it isn't then a failure occurs.  Putting this small amount of
enforcement in place would, in my view, simplify things for people and
therefore make life less problematic.

> When you name it "bzr_rebase" you only have a problem because you have a
> site-wide installation of 'rebase' so it ends up finding it twice.
> However, other bzr plugins must be installed at their official name
> (bzrtools, bzr-gtk, and bzr-svn all will fail if you don't name them
> correctly.)

Ah, OK, so removing the bzr-rebase package would sort that out.  I
didn't think of that :-)

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                 Partner

Concertant LLP                   t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,              f: +44 8700 516 084
London SW11 1EN, UK.             m: +44 7770 465 077