Resolving diverged branches in Subversion repository

Russel Winder russel.winder at concertant.com
Tue Jun 17 18:22:24 BST 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 00:46 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:

> Unfortunately this still causes lots of noise in the Subversion branch
> for every commit; see for example
> <URL:http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/reportbug-commits/2008-June/000001.html>
> which is the result of a merge into the Bazaar checkout of a
> Subversion branch.
>
> How can we avoid this property-change noise in the Subversion
> repository when I use Bazaar on it?

I get the same problem with Subversion repositories on Codehaus, but not
with the ones on my own server -- for this I just get a one-liner
telling me that there was a property change, but not what it was.  It
transpires that this is just a Subversion commit hook issue.  Where the
Subversion repository uses svnlook there is a problem, where it use the
Perl or Python script from the hooks repository there is no problem.
Ben Walding from Codehaus had a look at this issue and couldn't find an
option to svnlook to get rid of the property listing.  So I now get 30K
of property change notice for a 1 character change commit :-(

The real problem is that the property change notification will
eventually get extremely infinite.

Like SVK, Bazaar is recording information so as to reconstruct the
SVK/Bazaar history as well as the Subversion history and it has to go
somewhere.  Properties are where they go.

I guess the problem could be said to reside with svnlook.  Unless Ben
got it wrong and missed the magic option.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                 Partner

Concertant LLP                   t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,              f: +44 8700 516 084
London SW11 1EN, UK.             m: +44 7770 465 077