[MERGE/RFC] GSSAPI authentication support for FTP

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Fri Jun 13 03:31:35 BST 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 7:17 AM, Vincent Ladeuil <v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr> wrote:

>    Jelmer> The attached patch adds support for GSSAPI
>    Jelmer> authentication and encryption in the FTP transport,
>    Jelmer> as documented in RFC2228.
>
> Nice.

Yes that is pretty cool.

>    Jelmer> What amount of testing is required here? Would it be
>    Jelmer> sufficient if I just tested that SecureFtp's methods
>    Jelmer> attempt to send the right data?

I haven't read it in detail but I think that would be reasonable.

> If you have setup such a server locally, you may be able to
> automate the tests by using
> https://code.launchpad.net/~vila/bzr/local-test-server and adding
> the missing bits for your server and be able to exercise your
> implementation against the real server.
>
> That will not be the same thing than providing the test in bzr
> itself, but at least anyone will be able to reproduce your tests.

There is another option, which is to require the user to provide an
already-configured server (and maybe the credentials to access it).
We now have a framework by which the tests can cleanly report that
they were not run without failing the whole test suite, and tell the
user they could be run if they provided such a thing.  I think it
would be appropriate to use it if you wanted to.

However I doubt many people other than perhaps yourself will really
set this up, and they'll just ignore the message, and so it may be a
long time before a breakage is detected.  In the past we've tried
pretty hard to make the tests self contained.   We do have some
aspects that are only tested manually.

I guess all in all - if you think writing automated tests that use an
external server is the best thing to do, this is how you could do it.

> raise AssertionError is preferred to stay active while running
> under python -o (I thought the bzr test suite catched that ?).

It should, maybe Jelmer didn't run the whole suite?

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>