[loggerhead/MERGE] Switch Loggerhead from KID to ZPT template engine

Martin Albisetti argentina at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 16:04:37 BST 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:32 AM, Aaron Bentley <aaron at aaronbentley.com> wrote:
>> The short answer is yes.
>> It requires an extra dependency, and it's currently only packaged for
>> python 2.4 in Hardy, so it forces us to stick with python 2.4.
>
> What package?  I'm having trouble finding it on my Hardy despite having
> Launchpad installed there.
>
> Does zope provide the templating as a separate piece, or are we dragging
> most of zope in as a dependency?

We seem to be dragging in Zope as a dependency.

> And if python2.5 just doesn't work with zpt, I definitely have
> reservations about making zpt required.

I works. I'm using it with 2.5, but you have to be willing to go
around apt to get it working, which is less than idea.

> I can see *supporting* zpt as a tradeoff.  At this point I'm not certain
> we should be ditching kid at the same time.  At least, not in Loggerhead
> trunk.

Code is a mess as-is, not sure that allowing to choose templating
engines will help in that area.
I'll look into a few more templating engines, and see if I can come up
with something better.