Changing a commit message

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Thu May 15 08:05:18 BST 2008

> All I'm trying to explain is the fact that Bazaar allows both
> decentralized and *centralized* workflows. These both workflows have
> different needs (e.g. in general, commit messages changes are
> considered something good in centralized workflows, and they are
> considered something bad in decentralized workflows). I think that
> Bazaar should have all these features, but it should be up to project
> leaders to make a decision, which one of them would be actually used.
>
> Thus, I find any further discussion about the ways to propagate such
> changes in decentralized workflows irrelevant.

I disagree with this.  Even if you work in a centralized way, there is
nothing that's "forcing" you to stay that way. In other words, looking
at your other example, if you do:

bzr init-repo --no-trees --allow-commit-messages-changes <location>

Then everyone uses:
bzr checkout <location>

there is nothing that's stopping me from
bzr branch <location> <local disk>
 (assuming I have access to <location>)
And therefore working totally distributed, while everyone else works
distributed.

So, while bzr does support a centralized workflow. It's a workflow
that you take a decision to use, it's not something that's forced on
you by bzr. This means that even if you do create your repo with
"--allow-commit-messages-changes", we still have to consider how that
would behave in a distributed workflow.

Regards,
Erik