Trouble with "bind/update"

Marius Kruger amanic at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 13:05:39 BST 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 7:56 PM, John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com>
wrote:

> Torsten Bronger wrote:
> >
> > By the way, the "revert" didn't leave any foo.bar.~123~ files in my
> > directories.
>
> That is because it was shown as a clean merge. (The files would be the
> same if you did 'bzr revert; bzr merge -r revid:XXXX'.) So it looked the
> same as if you had merged someone else's code (didn't change anything)
> and then changed your mind and did 'bzr revert'.

this happened to me yesterday too :
I expected the bzr revert to create the foo.bar.~123~ files , and it didn't
(fortunately I have the habbit of backing up before doing a revert, as I've
been bitten before)

I think we should find a way to make this easier, maybe do one or more of
the following:
1) have an option to revert to force it to make backup~1~ files when
changing anything
2) merge something like the heads into the core
3) dont just tell people to williy nilly upgrade i.e. give a better message
like Torsten said:
    "You may wish to synchronize with the master branch with pull/push
      before committing any changes."

If we can agree on some plan of action, I can look into implementing it.

regards
marius