best way to use bazaar on windows

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Sat Apr 12 07:30:17 BST 2008

Rahul Nabar пишет:
> After about a month of using Bazaar to version my scripts and config
> files on my Linux box I thought it might be a good idea to use it for
> my Windows docs too. On Linux using Bazaar was a real breeze and a
> great experience. But Bazaar isn't really written for Windows systems,
> is it?

Yes and no. Core developers is all Linux guys, so Windows support is not
superior but good enough. There is at least one windows maintainer,
who try to fix existing windows-related bugs and regressions.

The worst problem is case-insensitive filesystem. If you'll start
to mangle case of your filenames you'll have troubles. Otherwise
you'll never notice this.

> What's the best way to go about it on Windows?  I hardly do any coding
> in WinXP but was intending to use Bazaar to version Word and
> Powerpoint docs. I saw there were a couple of plugins ( Tortoisebzr  /
> Olive) etc. but many seemed in development versions. Besides the WinXP
> "command line" (if I may use the term!) is sort of iffy; so I probably
> should be using a GUI, right?

Wrong. "Should" is wrong word there.

> Do people have suggestions / pitfalls I should be aware of? Or is it
> wise to stay away from Bazaar on Windows entirely.

Bazaar written in Python and therefore it's more cross-platform than
other systems written in C by hardcore Linux gurus.

Bazaar is very stable on Windows, I'm using it all the time, and use for
my working projects since December 2005. So, please, don't say words
like this: "...is it wise to stay away from Bazaar on Windows entirely."
Don't think about windows guys like about insane.

Almost all people coming to Windows from Linux prefer to using Cygwin
shell. And it works fine for them, but there is problems using windows bzr
version inside X. Running bzr from text bash console should be fine.
But I personally every time try to encourage people to use Cygwin's native
version instead. It's slow, but it's native and you'll have good symlinks emulation.

I personally use FAR file manager as my windows cmd shell.
Though it lacks tab completion and glob expansion but otherwise it's brilliant.