Support for symlinks on windows platforms

Andreas Deininger adeininger at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 3 19:55:27 BST 2008

Hi,

on my Windows box, I just tried to use bazaar to checkout a branch
that resides on a unix server and ran into the following error:

E:\>bzr co bzr+ssh://myusre@14.xx.xx.xx/my/path/to/repo
Connected (version 2.0, client OpenSSH_4.7)
Authentication (password) successful!
Secsh channel 1 opened.
bzr: ERROR: Unable to create symlink 'files/ex/images/abc.jpg' on this platform

I'm aware of the following document that deals with this issue:
http://bazaar-vcs.org/WindowsSymlinkSupport

My questions are now:
* how far has development come concerning this issue?
* can I effectively use bazaar on WIndows to checkout a branch that
contains symlinks? I'm aware of the Bazaar Symlinks for Win32 Plugin:
https://launchpad.net/bzr-win32symlinks

However, I wasn't not able to successfully install that plugin with
the latest bzr version 1.3:

C:\>bzr plugins
Unable to load plugin 'bzr_win32symlinks' from 'C:\\Program
Files\\Python25\\lib\\site-packages\\bzrlib\\plugins'
bzrtools 1.3.0
    Various useful plugins for working with bzr.

launchpad
    Launchpad.net integration plugin for Bazaar.

I'm aware of the fact that there is a ~/.bazaar.log file under Unix to
resolev that kind of problems. However, I couldn't find such a file on
my Windows installation, so I couldn't track it down further.

Thanks for your answers

Regards
Andreas