what is going on when bzr push shows 'Copying signature texts' progress bar?

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Mon Mar 31 12:38:36 BST 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 9:55 PM, Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net> wrote:
> Anytime I'm trying to do initial push to my server bialix.com via bzr+ssh
>  I see phase 'Copying signature texts' for most of the operation time.
>  Why it took so long? Or may be bzr is not sitting in this phase actually, but
>  another code is not updating progress bar correctly?
>  Both local and remote repository is shared repo in pack format.
>
>  AFAICT, after packs is landing progress bar behaves much worse than with knits.
>  Often it shows 0/0 phase etc.

The best way to debug it would be to run with -Dhpss and look in
.bzr.log, which will show you what it's doing when it's paused, and
how long different operations are taking.

Because packs access less on disk files (which is good for latency),
the progress bar gets updated less often.  We should fix this, either
by making packs explicitly update it more often, or I'd also like to
try the approach of making the io layer update the progress bar to
show traffic.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>