bzr-svn 0.4.9 - still with memory leaks?

Matt Nordhoff mnordhoff at mattnordhoff.com
Thu Mar 27 12:06:11 GMT 2008

Paul Moore wrote:
> I'm using bzr 1.3 and bzr-svn 0.4.9 on Windows XP. Both the Windows
> binary versions. I understand the bzr-svn binary includes the svn
> memory leak patch.
>
> When I try to do a bzr clone of (a local copy of) the Python
> subversion repository, the process memory keeps growing continuously
> (after 5000 revisions, memory is at over 500M, and still rising. It
> hit over 1G before I killed the process).
>
> I can pull in stages, so this isn't fatal, but is this expected? On Unix, does
>
>     bzr branch http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk local-copy
>
> exhibit memory growth like this? How much memory is the Bazaar process
> using at its peak?
>
> It's possible that there's still an unresolved memory leak in the svn
> bindings on Windows, but as I can't build svn myself, I can neither
> check or fix it if thee is :-(
>
> As I say, I can work round this, but I'd like to understand the issue here.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul.

FWIW, if you really are trying to get a copy of Python, there is now an
official conversion, so you don't have to do it yourself.

<http://www.python.org/dev/bazaar/>

(It's also using bzr-svn. If you're using a shared repo, branch the
official, err, branches into the same repo so the entire history won't
be downloaded.)