display of merged revisions in loggerhead and log

Michael Hudson michael.hudson at canonical.com
Thu Mar 6 20:42:22 GMT 2008

Martin Pool wrote:
>> The topic was how to make it apparent that the committer of a merge revision didn't necessarily do all the work being merged.
>
>> I actually got around to having a hack at this this morning.  I've
>>  attached two screenshots of my efforts.  The first does something like
>>  what Martin suggests, though it doesn't restrict itself to first names.
>>   Perhaps it should, because the main problem with it is that it takes
>>  up too much horizontal space.  This attempt is also extremely hacky, it
>>  wouldn't be appropriate for branches which didn't work like bzr.dev.
>>
>>  The second just adds a "Branch authors" field to the information that
>>  drops down when you click the arrow next to a revision.  This seems like
>>  a better bet, probably.
>
> I like the display of the first one a lot.

OK.  I should probably display first names only.  And think of a way to
make it nice looking on more branches than just bzr.dev.

> "Branch authors" is not such a great name though.  I think you should
> just show it as 'committer' or 'author' (depending which one you're
> displaying), and clearly distinguish the person who committed the
> overall merge from the people who committed merged revisions.

Two columns?  Or just bolding the committer of the merge or something?
I guess I can try various things out.

> Showing this on unfolded revisions is not so great.  What we really
> should be doing there is expanding out all the merged-in revisions,
> like in log.  Then you can see exactly what those people did.

The thing that scares me about doing this is merges from head.  This
isn't a problem for bzr.dev, but if you look at some long lived feature
branch (like say the packs branch back in the day) there might be some
'merge from head' that brings in a thousand new revisions and this would
make the changelog view stupidly large.  But I guess that's just a
matter of only displaying a limited number of revisions and a 'see also'
link.

/me goes off to read the code for 'bzr log'...

Cheers,
mwh