efficiency over NFS

Mohit Aron extproxy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 22:31:47 GMT 2008

Hello,

I'm evaluating switching from subversion to bazaar for my company. I had a
question that I was hoping I could get some help on.

It seems one can just modify files without telling bazaar about the intent
to do so. And then 'bzr status' has to figure out what all is being modified
- possibly by doing a 'stat' on each file in the repository. While this
might be ok for a local disk, this is terrible for workspaces on NFS. I
think future bazaar releases should consider supporting a mode where one
needs to explicitly do a 'bzr edit filename' to tell bazaar that it is going
to modify a file (same as perforce). Any other files that are modified would
not show up in 'bzr status' - in fact, it might be better if files don't
have write permissions unless one does an 'bzr edit' on it.

Please note that a 'bzr edit' doesn't need to send any message across the
network - it just needs to be recorded in the local repository. This
differentiates it from a similar command in version control systems like
perforce.

- Mohit