RFC: naming of the 'record' command in the loom plugin

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Mon Feb 25 21:02:14 GMT 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 20:21 +0000, Paul Moore wrote:

> While I haven't used the extension at all yet, I'm certainly
> interested in it. I hate the hyphenated commands - I'd much rather
> have simple one-word commands. I quite like the idea for using
> subcommands like "bzr loom create".

I'm very open to doing this; I'd like the code for it to be tasteful
though, and in particular it should be as easy to write commands as it
is today:
class cmd_loom_create(..)

is the current way to create a command called loom-create.

So

class cmd_create(cmd_loom)

or something?

> As far as particular commands are concerned:
>
>  * loomify - I really dislike this command, it doesn't convey to me at
> all what it is. I'd suggest "bzr loom init".

Well loomify takes over an existing branch and makes it a loom. 'bzr
loom init' I would expect other users to expect it to create a loom from
scratch; just like 'bzr init' (and in fact, bzr init --loom should be
supported, its a bug its not at the moment).

>  * record - I've no real problem with this, but "bzr loom commit"
> seems to fit the scheme quite nicely.
>  * xxx-thread - Why not "bzr thread XXX"?
>  * revert-loom and show-loom - Could be "bzr loom revert" and "bzr loom show".

Primarily a lack of infrastructure in bzr lead to the current naming
convention I used.

> This reflects my preference for single word commands, and subcommands,
> over multi-word-commands. Others may feel differently.

Like I say above, I'm entirely open to hyphens vs spaces; as long as its
kept clear and understandable in the code and UI.

-Rob