RFC: naming of the 'record' command in the loom plugin

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Feb 25 19:52:53 GMT 2008

James Westby wrote:
| Hi all,
|
| I reported a bug on the loom plugin stating
|
|   The name 'record' for a command is quite generic. Also it
|   is the darcs term for 'commit'.
|
|   I also think there is an existing plugin for bzr to add darcs
|   style (per hunk) commit, which uses the 'record' name.
|
|   Attached is a patch to change the command name to
|   'record-loom'. I didn't add any deprecation in, as with the
|   plugin only a few days in the wild I doubt anyone is too
|   used to it yet.
|
| and Robert replied
|
|   We don't generally qualify our other command names (we don't have
|   push-branch, or commit-tree); I'd rather we brainstorm (e.g. on the
|   bazaar list) about names than do this hacky-and-ugly name.
|
| so I am bringing the discussion here.
|
| My arguments for the name would be
|
|   1. It is clear that it is to do with looms for someone just seeing
|      the command name.
|   2. It doesn't use the term from another VCS to mean something quite
|      different.
|   3. The TODO of looms makes it sound like 'record' is a lower level
|      command that will one day be superseded by a 'commit-loom' command
|      or similar. (I may have got the wrong end of the stick here).
|   4. It doesn't overlap with an existing command provided by another
|      plugin.
|   5. There are already 'revert-loom' and 'show-loom' commands, so this
|      fits in well in my opinion.
|
| Anyone else have any opinions? Robert, do you have another suggestion
| for how we should handle this?
|
| Thanks,
|
| James

Well, bzr shelve solved it in a different way. It provides "bzr shelve" and "bzr
unshelve" and all other operations are sub-commands. "bzr shelf
list/delete/switch/show/upgrade".

It might be reasonable to use that for looms. I think Robert has already hooked
into "bzr switch", which takes care of up/down-thread. So "bzr loom create"
instead of create-thread.

I honestly haven't used it a lot, so I'm not sure what commands are used all the
time (shelve/unshelve) versus infrequently (shelf list, shelf delete).

Looking at the list of commands in "bzr help loom" it breaks down into:

~  loomify
~  record

~  create-thread
~  down-thread
~  up-thread
~  combine-thread

~  revert-loom
~  show-loom

record actually seems the odd-man-out in this case. And "commit-loom" seems to
be a closer match. Since all the other commands have either 'thread' or 'loom'
in their names.