Bazaar and NetBeans [ was Re: Bazaar 0.90.0 problem merging back to Subversion ]

Russel Winder russel.winder at concertant.com
Sat Feb 2 06:51:24 GMT 2008

Eugene,

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 14:27 +0800, Eugene Wee wrote:
> Hi Russel,
>
> I have asked about a Netbeans plugin for Bazaar in early November 2007
> but received no replies, and my search of the Web then had no positive
> result. I conclude that there is indeed no Netbeans plugin for Bazaar :(

In the Bazaar vs. Mercurial war that is currently under way, Bazaar not
being available for NetBeans when Mercurial is integrated is definitely
a marketing coup for Mercurial.  I agree that Eclipse has far more
market share just now, but NetBeans 6 actually works sensibly on Ubuntu
and is so much simpler than Eclipse that I can see it's share increasing
quite markedly.  (Though I still don't see why Sun insist on persisting
with NetBeans rather than just supporting Eclipse, but I am sure there
must be a reason.)

> On the other hand, I have looked into the source of the Netbeans plugin
> for Mercurial and it appears that they were not using some kind of
> Mercurial specific Java-Python API but actually doing some kind of I/O
> redirection. Consequently, Bazaar is at no real disadvantage (other than
> needing to catch up).

I guess that Canonical people need to talk to their Sun buddies to get
Bazaar treated on the same footing as Mercurial in all Sun products.
--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                 Partner

Concertant LLP                   t: +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,              f: +44 8700 516 084
London SW11 1EN, UK.             m: +44 7770 465 077