bzr editor setup

Eric Siegerman lists08-bzr at davor.org
Sat Jan 26 23:51:24 GMT 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-26 at 01:38 +0000, Brett Calcott wrote:

> I do a commit. (bzr ci). Up comes vim, I add comments, hit ZZ, and I get the
> following:
> bzr: ERROR: Could not start any editor.

One of the reasons for bzr to produce that message is if the
editor exits with non-zero (i.e. failure) status.  Perhaps that's
what vim's doing.

(I don't know why vim might be doing that -- especially only on
MacOS -- but I vaguely recall that on some UNIX I once used, vi
had a bug that caused it to exit with a non-zero status under
some provocation that no longer matters, even though there was no
real error to report.  So it's not outside the realm of
possibility.)

To test this, try making a little shell script:
        #!/bin/sh
        exit 0
make it executable, and set it as your $EDITOR (and/or $VISUAL).

If that helps, you can try to track down the underlying problem
-- or just leave the script in place as a permanent kludge, as I
had to do on the system in question.

  - Eric