Issues with bazaar 1.1

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Jan 23 16:26:20 GMT 2008

Ingamells, David wrote:
> Following on from the mail below, I note that my point 4 is already in
> bzr 1.2 as merge --preview (I'm pleased!). Also with the dev release
> of bzr 1.2 I notice that "bzr missing" now does give a non-zero status
> if there are missing revisions.
>
> I have encountered a new problem which is demonstrated by the attached
> script. If the commented-out lines are un-commented then the script runs
> correctly. See the logs fail.log and success.log.
>
> The reason for the failure is that a merge of a new file into an empty
> repository does not work correctly. The successful version works because
> the repository "one" already has a file in it when the merge and
> commit is attempted.

I'm not sure that this is the right reason. I'm guessing the actual
reason is:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/82555

"Merging into an empty branch doesn't work"

The reason is that we have a field for "parents" and when you merge, you
start with "parents = []" and after the merge you have "parents =
[merged]" rather than the normal "parents = [basis, merged]".

I could be wrong, but try doing:

bzr init one
cd one
bzr commit --unchanged -m "initial commit"
cd ..
bzr branch one two
cd two
echo foo > bar
bzr add
bzr commit -m bar
bzr send -o ../patch
cd ../one
bzr merge --preview ../patch
bzr merge ../patch
bzr status

> I should add that overall I am very pleased with bazaar-NG. The main
> area where I miss functionality, especially when compared with SVN is in
> the area of visual tools for viewing history. A bazaar version of kdesvn
> would be wonderful!
>
> Thanks,
>
> *David*

Have you looked into "bzr-gtk"? Stuff like "bzr viz" and "bzr gannotate"
is quite useful.

I haven't used kdesvn to really compare, though. I know there also has
been work to integrate it with the shell explorer. (TortoiseBzr/Nautilus
integration.) I don't think that is complete, but I think it is close.