uninstall/upgrade?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Dec 19 09:05:38 GMT 2007

Matthew Hannigan wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 09:51:33AM +0100, Toni Mueller wrote:
>
>> Thanks, that's what other people suggested, too, but as said, I opted
>> to remove the old installation (once I figured out where it was) before
>> I tried that, in order to avoid having stale files messing up the new
>> system.
>>

> What DO people do about this?  The lack of an uninstall
> has always concerned me too.

People are always welcomed to provide patchs to distutils (the framework
used by most python packages) to support uninstall target. The problem
being that distutils code is a mess, undocumented and unmaintained,
making the whole thing a bit more difficult to do. But anyway, I don't
see much hope for a reliable uninstall target without a support from a
package manager.

cheers,

David