[MERGE/HELP!!!] Accelerate build_tree by using working tree files

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Wed Dec 19 05:37:44 GMT 2007

Aaron Bentley wrote:

> Here are the times for branching in a shared with-trees repo:
>
> Old (Best of 4)
> real    0m4.922s
> user    0m4.320s
> sys     0m0.324s
>
> New (Best of 4)
> real    0m1.218s
> user    0m0.992s
> sys     0m0.208s
>
> This is 4.04x faster!

Hi Aaron,

That is big time awesome!

I'm in the process of benchmarking 40-50 different bzr operations on
lots of different code bases right now. Here are the slowest ones from
my testing so far, together with the time in seconds for FireFox:

* export (90.1)
* lightweight checkout (64.4)
* checkout (64.1)
* branch (63.9)
* initial commit (49.1).

All tests are running in a local shared with-trees repo. The first and
last of these are no problem because they are infrequently done. The
middle 3 are more interesting to most people and your patch sounds very
promising.

> There's just one catch: a seemingly-unrelated test case fails.  Can
> anyone with dirstate knowledge sort this out?

No idea sorry.

Ian C.