[MERGE] [1.0] [#175764] Improve bug tracker integration documentation

Erik Bågfors zindar at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 09:28:17 GMT 2007

On Dec 16, 2007 1:32 PM, Lukáš Lalinský <lalinsky at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Ne, 2007-12-16 at 02:55 +0100, Erik Bågfors wrote:
> > Sorry for being somewhat off topic here, but I find this integration
> > between bzr and a bugtracker less then optimal.
> >
> > One problem with this is when I'm working offline and want to commit a
> > bugfix. In this case I can't get to the bugtracker URL. Another case
> > is when I do a fix, but am not ready to publish the branch, for
> > whatever reason. Then I can't commit with --fixed either.
> >
> > For me a much better workflow would be that --fixes only wrote into a
> > revision and a cronjob that has access to both the branch, and the
> > bugtracker could read this data and close bugs. In this case the bug
> > wouldn't be fixed until the branch has been merged, and the committer
> > can work offline as well.
>
> Have you tried it or at least read the documentation? Because this is
> exactly what it does. It does not automatically close bugs in any bug
> trackers.
>
> Lukas

So, I tried to read through the documentation again. This is what I can find

http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/latest/en/user-reference/bzr_man.html#bug-tracker-settings
<quote>
Bazaar has a facility that allows you to associate a commit with a bug
in the project's bug tracker. Other tools can then use this information
to link between the commit and the bug, or to automatically mark the bug
closed in the branches that contain the commit.
</quote>
That seems to indicate other tools (such as the cron job I want), but
no indication if any such tools exists.

<quote>
bugzilla_<tracker_abbreviation>_url

If present, the location of the Bugzilla bug tracker referred to by
<tracker_abbreviation>. This option can then be used together with bzr
commit --fixes to mark bugs in that tracker as being fixed by that
commit. For example:

bugzilla_squid_url = http://www.squid-cache.org/bugs
would allow bzr commit --fixes squid:1234 to mark Squid's bug 1234 as fixed.
</quote>

When reading this, it sure sounds like it closes the bugs when I fun
commit --fixes.

If there is any other documentation on how this should work, please
point me in the right direction. The User Guide, points to the user
reference, and that's what I can find on it.

The documentation just talks about URLs, but not really what the URLs
are used for.  I just assumed they closed bugs.

Regards,
Erik