[MERGE] [1.0] [#175764] Improve bug tracker integration documentation

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Tue Dec 18 02:50:42 GMT 2007

Erik Bågfors wrote:

> The documentation just talks about URLs, but not really what the URLs
> are used for.  I just assumed they closed bugs.

Not yet unfortunately. As explained in the User Guide under the heading
of "Metadata recording vs bug tracker updating" ...

"Recording metadata about bugs fixed at commit time is only one of the
features needed for complete bug tracker integration. As Bazaar is a
distributed VCS, users may be offline while committing so accessing the
bug tracker itself at that time may not be possible. Instead, it is
recommended that a hook be installed to update the bug tracker when
changes are pushed to a central location appropriate for your project's
workflow."

So we need to be bundling some hooks and making them easier to activate.
I'm working on the latter right now.

If you're personally keen on Bugzilla integration, there's a hook
bundled with Hg that we might be able to use as a starting point for one
for Bazaar. See section 10.7.2 in
http://hgbook.red-bean.com/hgbookch10.html. Code (maybe not the latest
version) can be found here:
http://www.zimbatm.com/hgtest/browser/hgext/bugzilla.py?rev=3643%3Ab4ad640a3bcf.