Bazaar OS X Installer status

Szilveszter Farkas szilveszter.farkas at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 15:14:21 GMT 2007

Hi,

following Adam's status report, I'd like to inform you about another
project that aims the OS X platform.

Programs for the Mac are distributed via disk images (DMGs), that
contain either a representation of an application (.app) or an installer
(.mpkg). I chose the second way to go, so we can create modular
installers (the user can chose which plugins s/he wants to install).

I've created such an installer for RC2, which bundles two dependencies
as well: PyCrypto and Paramiko (if you already have them on your system,
you can unselect them if you customize the install process). Other
plugins will follow (unfortunately some of them are not trivial to
build, since OS X 10.5 ships with Subversion 1.4.4 which isn't patched
to be compatible with bzr-svn).

Planned plugins: bzrtools, bzr-svn, bzr-rebase, extmerge, qbzr. Most of
them are still under investigation (e.g. bzr-svn needs a custom svn
build), but I'm open to any suggestions.

All the dependencies were built on OS X 10.5 (Leopard - built-in Python
2.5.1). I used Pyrex to build Bazaar (I suppose it's good to compile
those files because of performance reasons) for both i386 and ppc
architectures, so there shouldn't be a problem on PowerPC machines (if
you encounter anything, please report it, because I don't have access to
a PPC machine).

You can grab a prototype of the disk image here:
http://phanatic.hu/bzr/mac/Bazaar-1.0-RC2-OSX10.5-proto3.dmg

Screenshot for the curious non-Mac people:
http://phanatic.hu/bzr/mac/bazaar-dmg-prototype-docs.png

As you can see, I've customized the disk image icon, and the folder
background as well, so it looks more sexy... I mean user-friendly :) The
whole documentation is included in the disk image in HTML format.

The whole process of building the modules, binaries, installer, and the
disk image will be put on the wiki in a few days.

Regards,
Szilveszter / phanatic