[MERGE][1.0][trivial] Fix link to packs in doc/developers/index.txt

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Dec 5 19:43:06 GMT 2007

Matt Nordhoff wrote:
> John Arbash Meinel wrote:
>> As 1.0rc1 isn't a full release, I don't think we need to do a redirect for it.
>> As long as 1.0 final is correct.
>
> The people who should be testing 1.0rc1 are the reason those docs were
> written.
>
> Hmm. I think I'm bitter about this because I'm a nut about redirecting
> things and never leaving a 404, and (I think) it would only take someone
> about 20 seconds to do.

Except that directory is generated directly from the sources. I'm not
manually maintaining that directory. So we would have to check in the
fix to bzr.dev itself. And there isn't a strictly kosher way of doing
redirects without editing Apache configuration files....

Unless we want a knitrepo.html which has a meta Redirect tag in it,
which I don't think we could create easily from a source ReST file.
(Though we probably could just check in an existing .html file).

And the people who control the global Apache configs are the Canonical
Sys admins, which requires filing an rt request, explaining to them what
we really need and why we need it, etc.

What we *could* do is add a .htaccess file with a redirect (I maintain
one for the windows download files.)

But, as the easy way to update the documentation is:

make html
rsync -av --delete doc/html /srv/.../doc/

That will end up nuking the .htaccess file (you could not use --delete,
but then stale files wouldn't get deleted, etc, etc.)

Anyway, I won't disagree that fixing it for some time would be a 20s
fix. Actually fixing it would be a lot more involved. And not really
worth the time it would take.