Branching bzr.dev 'hanging'... no CPU activity, no net IO, no disk IO...

Talden talden at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 03:49:46 GMT 2007

I've recently started looking at bzr and thought I'd take a look at
the code, both out of curiosity and because it's a repo with
considerable history for me to experiment with.

However both 0.92 and 1.0rc1 produce the same effect for me on Windows
(using the standalone binaries)... It downloads about 31MB of content
and stops - no logging - no CPU, disk or network activity.

I've tried

> bzr branch http://bazaar-vcs.org/bzr/bzr.dev bzr.dev

and, with a repo...

> bzr init-repo bzr
> cd bzr
> bzr branch http://bazaar-vcs.org/bzr/bzr.dev bzr.dev

Both yield similar results under 0.92 and 1.0rc1 (using
--knitpacks-experimental under 0.92). Using 0.92 defaults yielded
different amounts of 'repo' content but also appeared hung nothing of
interest was in the logs (and the logs didn't appear 'flushed' with a
trialing partial line of logging).

Are there logging options I can enable to get more information on what
Bazaar is doing (and possibly a timed flush of the logger so that
recent problems make it to the log)?

NB: Regardless of the cause of this I'd really like it if Bazaar could
be convinced not to produce the .bzr.log in my profile and this causes
problems with my roaming profile quota.

Be gentle with me, I'm coming from a CVS/Subversion background and am
not overly familiar with Python, *nix or DVCS solutions...

--
Talden