Branching bzr.dev 'hanging'... no CPU activity, no net IO, no disk IO...

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Dec 3 20:26:24 GMT 2007

Talden wrote:
> I've recently started looking at bzr and thought I'd take a look at
> the code, both out of curiosity and because it's a repo with
> considerable history for me to experiment with.
>
> However both 0.92 and 1.0rc1 produce the same effect for me on Windows
> (using the standalone binaries)... It downloads about 31MB of content
> and stops - no logging - no CPU, disk or network activity.
>
> I've tried
>
>> bzr branch http://bazaar-vcs.org/bzr/bzr.dev bzr.dev
>
> and, with a repo...
>
>> bzr init-repo bzr
>> cd bzr
>> bzr branch http://bazaar-vcs.org/bzr/bzr.dev bzr.dev
>
> Both yield similar results under 0.92 and 1.0rc1 (using
> --knitpacks-experimental under 0.92). Using 0.92 defaults yielded
> different amounts of 'repo' content but also appeared hung nothing of
> interest was in the logs (and the logs didn't appear 'flushed' with a
> trialing partial line of logging).

That really sounds weird. It certainly isn't something I have experienced.

You could also try branching from:
  http://bazaar-vcs.org/bzr/bzr.dev.knits

Which uses the default format of 0.92. (So without a repo 0.92 and 1.0rc1 will
do the same thing, because they preserve the source format when there isn't a
target format already.)

> Are there logging options I can enable to get more information on what
> Bazaar is doing (and possibly a timed flush of the logger so that
> recent problems make it to the log)?

Well, on other platforms we can do Ctrl+\, which is a SIGQUIT operation. Which
drops you into the python debugger at the current point of operation.

I don't know how to generate a SIGQUIT on Windows (or if it is even possible).

> NB: Regardless of the cause of this I'd really like it if Bazaar could
> be convinced not to produce the .bzr.log in my profile and this causes
> problems with my roaming profile quota.

Where would you prefer the .bzr.log be put? At the moment, I don't think we
have a knob for where to put this file. But we could do something like a
BZR_LOGFILE environment variable.

> Be gentle with me, I'm coming from a CVS/Subversion background and am
> not overly familiar with Python, *nix or DVCS solutions...
>
> --
> Talden

We'll do what we can. It should be on some form of "Transferring" phase, do you
know what stage it was in?