A couple comments on the "Quick Start Guide"

Adeodato Simó dato at net.com.org.es
Sat Dec 1 10:59:29 GMT 2007

> PS Don't forget to write a subject. :)

Right, oops.

##

Hello Ian.

After packaging 1.0rc1 for Debian, I took a look at the provided
documentation to see what a user that just installs bzr would see.
Looks terrific, and I have just a couple small comments:

  - I think that the first link in index.html should not be the Quick
    Start Guide, since I think it's too bare for a first peek; that's
    just how I feel, though, it's okay if you think different. :)
    I'd personally place it after User Reference.

  - actually, the Quick Start Guide has the format (although it's not
    quite one) that of a reference card; I think changing its name to
    Reference Card would match the expectations of the user better,
    since I think "Quick Start *Guide*" calls for them to expect
    something more in the line of the 5 minutes tutorial.

  - I think it'd be nice if you could provide a png version of the svg
    as well, since there may be browsers where it doesn't get rendered
    very well (konqueror, for example)

Of these three items, I think the 2nd one is the most important, since
the usage of "Guide" there it's inconsistent with the rest of the
document, indeed.

* John Arbash Meinel [Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:49:07 -0600]:

> Actually, I think including the .png is the most important. I think we decided
> on Quick Start because someone thought that Quick Reference should be more of a
> complete reference, not just a summary of commonly used commands. (It should be
> a summary of *all* commands.)

> I don't feel the same way (a quick reference is just that), so I would not be
> opposed to renaming it back.

Cheers,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

                    Listening to: The Magnetic Fields - The Book of Love