Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Mon Dec 3 13:52:10 GMT 2007

John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> Adeodato Simó wrote:
>> Hello Ian.
>
>> After packaging 1.0rc1 for Debian, I took a look at the provided
>> documentation to see what a user that just installs bzr would see.
>> Looks terrific, and I have just a couple small comments:
>
>>   - I think that the first link in index.html should not be the Quick
>>     Start Guide, since I think it's too bare for a first peek; that's
>>     just how I feel, though, it's okay if you think different. :)
>>     I'd personally place it after User Reference.
>
>>   - actually, the Quick Start Guide has the format (although it's not
>>     quite one) that of a reference card; I think changing its name to
>>     Reference Card would match the expectations of the user better,
>>     since I think "Quick Start *Guide*" calls for them to expect
>>     something more in the line of the 5 minutes tutorial.
>
>>   - I think it'd be nice if you could provide a png version of the svg
>>     as well, since there may be browsers where it doesn't get rendered
>>     very well (konqueror, for example)
>

> Actually, I think including the .png is the most important. I think we decided
> on Quick Start because someone thought that Quick Reference should be more of a
> complete reference, not just a summary of commonly used commands. (It should be
> a summary of *all* commands.)
>
> I don't feel the same way (a quick reference is just that), so I would not be
> opposed to renaming it back.

At the time, feelings were quite strong about not using the term Quick
Reference because it wasn't comprehensive. I could easily change it to
*Card* perhaps and avoid both Guide and Reference. Is that ok? I do
agree that Quick Reference really ought to be more than what's there now
(but I think what's there now has high value so I want to keep it as is).

I'll add the png and move the Quick Start (Card) down the list. I think
starting the list with the User Guide is now a good choice.

Any objections? Better ideas?

Ian C.