[MERGE] Refactor diffing

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Tue Nov 27 05:39:33 GMT 2007

> Martin, do you want this in 1.0?

Yes, please merge this.  It looks much cleaner.

I wonder if NEWS should mention anything more user-visible, but it
looks like for now this is not very user-visible.

+    # The type or contents of the file were unsuitable for diffing
+    CANNOT_DIFF = object()
+    # The file has changed in a semantic way
+    CHANGED = object()
+    # The file content has changed, but there is no semantic change
+    UNCHANGED = object()

(comment) I get the point of them, but it seems suboptimal they'll
just be printed as <object at 1234123> or some such.  If we made them eg
= intern('CANNOT_DIFF') do you think people would be too tempted to
use them as strings not symbols?

--
Martin