[MERGE] windows standalone installer creates and uses "plugins" directory for system-wide plugins (#129298)

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Fri Nov 23 14:30:27 GMT 2007

This patch in the same time bug fix (wishlist-fix actually)
and improvements. IMO this change is worth to include to 1.0.

With this patch standalone bzr.exe will able to load plugins
from C:\Program Files\Bazaar\plugins. This directory will
be used therefore as location for system-wide plugins.
Currently there is no easy way to install plugins for standalone
bzr.exe for system-wide usage (beside using BZR_PLUGIN_PATH
environment variable): because all python modules (compiled
to pyc) stored inside one big library.zip. Now we have this
option.

So any plugins author could provide nice installer for
his plugins. I'm planning to write short "how-to" instruction
and provide example of Inno Setup script for creating
installer for bzr plugins. Another good installer compiler is
NSIS (home page says it's possible to build windows installers
with NSIS even on Linux, but I have no experience with its
scripting language).

There were/are some requests for including some plugins to bzr installer
itself, but no consensus was reached.
IMO, including bzrtools to 1.0 release is the right thing.
Not sure about other plugins. And I'm not sure I can fulfill Jelmer's
request about bzr-svn (because I have no experience with bzr-svn,
especially on win32).

If you have reasonable request to include your plugin in 1.0
windows standalone installer -- it's time to speak up.
Because this patch opens doors to do so. Also this patch
provide decent way to support system-wide bzr plugins and
user-friendly installation for them.

BTW, I decided to finally fix my win32symlinks plugin and it working
now with 0.92. Does anyone think it's good idea to include it to 1.0?
The main "contra" is speed on FAT32.

Alexander.

About some popular open-source windows installer compilers:

InnoSetup: http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php
	uses INI-style syntax with Pascal-like semantics
	for describing install tasks
	and PascalScript for scripting action.

NSIS: http://nsis.sourceforge.net/
	uses its own declarative syntax for