[MERGE][bug #6700] diff on branches without working trees

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Tue Nov 20 23:34:25 GMT 2007

James Westby wrote:

> I was just thinking about filing a bug on this last night,
> I was in tree1 and I just wanted to know what ther stright diff was
> for tree2, so I ran
>
>   bzr diff ../tree2
>
> and got nothing. I knew what the fix was, but someone else
> may not.
>
> I think there are two issues here, firstly it would be nice
> if the above gave me the diff of the trees. Secondly it would
> be good if the user got some feedback above, as I don't see how
> asking for a diff of a file outside the tree is not an error.
>
> However I realise that it might be playing 'Buckaroo' with the
> diff command to do all of this.

DWIW gets ugly at times. Hoe about this one:

  bzr diff -rx..y ../tree2

Should that compare version y of tree2 against version x of tree 2? I
think users would expect that, particularly when the branch is remote
with a long URL. To compare version y of this tree against version x of
tree2, I think it's reasonable to do this:

  bzr diff -rx..y ../tree2 .

Would you agree?

Ian C.