[MERGE][bug #6700] diff on branches without working trees

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Tue Nov 20 20:14:37 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 18:47 +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 13:12 +1000, Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> >
> > * "bzr diff tree1 tree2" compares two working trees.
>
> Just a small note - Poolie was very pro this syntax back in Montreal,
> but personally I have never ever used it - I always use -r
> ancestor:tree1, because diffing the tip is simply unuseful.

I was just thinking about filing a bug on this last night,
I was in tree1 and I just wanted to know what ther stright diff was
for tree2, so I ran

  bzr diff ../tree2

and got nothing. I knew what the fix was, but someone else
may not.

I think there are two issues here, firstly it would be nice
if the above gave me the diff of the trees. Secondly it would
be good if the user got some feedback above, as I don't see how
asking for a diff of a file outside the tree is not an error.

However I realise that it might be playing 'Buckaroo' with the
diff command to do all of this.

Thanks,

James