[REPOST][BUG] Issue

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Tue Nov 13 18:07:07 GMT 2007

QbProg пишет:
> Sorry for the repost, but it has become a killer issue, witch is costantly
> reproduced every time I try to do the described operations.
> I'm not able to use bazaar , so I'm asking again for a guideline :) Thank
> you for your patience.

I'll try to reproduce your case tomorrow with my local network. Some comments below.

> I'm moving a project at work to Bazaar, since I'm trying to set up a
> build server. I've run for two or three time into a sort of "corruption"
> issue,
> so maybe you can help me.
>
> I have a relatively big project, with 1000x of source files and many
> binary support files. I'm gradually importing the source files into the
> repository, so
> I can "familiarize" with Bazaar (I'm the only developer).
>
> I'm using Windows XP, with bazaar 0.92rc1 , but I got the same issue
> with 0.91.
>
> Here are the steps:
> 1 - I created a repository in a network Samba share , and I mapped it to
> a network drive. The network share is mapped to a network hard drive
> with samba interface.

Actually bzr supports UNC path like \\HOST\path very nice, so you don't need to map remote path to
network hard drive. You can, but in the common case you don't need it. It's don't mean you did
something wrong, just a comment.

> Z:\> bzr init-repo --no-trees .\

explicit trailing backslash is also don't needed. just '.' is usually enough.

> 2 - I created a branch Devel
> Z:\> bzr init Devel

OK.

> 3- I checked out (lightweight) the branch to my local development
> folder, called C:\Devel\
> C:\> bzr checkout Z:\Devel C:\Devel --lightweight

OK.

> after that I successully did 15 commits while adding some parts of my
> source trees. These commits where small and imported
> only text files.

OK.

> Then I decided to do the "big step", so I tryed to import the remaining
> tree. I did that in two different revisions,
> 16 and 17, for a total of 1500+ files , text and binary.
> The commits successfully worked. Note that I never has connection
> problems, or  fault reports.
>
> Now , here comes the problem.
> C:\Devel> bzr status -V
> removed:
> a.cpp
> b.cpp
> .
> .
> .
> .

It's bad.

> In fact, all the files of my previous two commits appeared as "removed".
> (the file in my checkout were of course present)

It's good.

> I did
> C:\Devel\> Bzr check
>
> it reported that 1302 files had "Null parent , but should have ()"

Can you provide the part of .bzr.log from your 'My Documents' folder
relevant to bzr check? You can send it privately.

> I tryed to do
> Bzr reconcile Z:\
>
> but  it didn't solve the problem.
>
> I did
> bzr uncommit
> bzr uncommit
>
> two times, back to revision 15. Now in my checkout I have many "added"
> files (bzr status -V)
> if I try to do
> bzr commit
> again, I get the same problem , many removed files.

It seems that something wrong with inventory on your local drive C:
If you can reproduce this problem we'd like to see the part of .bzr.log relevant to this buggy commit.

> Strange is that when I do
> bzr commit -m""
> at this point, I get a "nothing to do" message.

Something wrong here. When I run commit in regular branch I get valid errors:

C:\Temp\3>bzr ci -m""
bzr: ERROR: -m option requires an argument

C:\Temp\3>bzr ci -m ""
Committing revision 1 to "C:/Temp/3/".
added foo
bzr: ERROR: empty commit message specified

> I know that the report is not really complete, but I ask you some
> pointings to help debugging this issue. ( I don't know if it is a bug or
> not,
> but it sounds strange).
> I'm sorry but I can't post my repository here since contains proprietary
> source code, but I can help you by sending output info,
> outputs, etc...

Can you try the same steps with heavyweight checkout?
May be your issue related to lightweight checkout, maybe to some network effects, maybe to binary files.
I remember in the past we have some strange problems with binary (Excel) files, that was actually
changed, but modification time was not updated properly by Excel itself.

Can you try to commit only big amount of text files without binary ones to see what happens?

> I do really like bazaar. Thanks to the advanced merge functionality I
> preferred it to subversion! :)

Thanks!

> I'm relatively new to version control, so please be patient if I have
> written/done something totally wrong!

I'm think you're not, but sometimes it's hard to understand what the root of problem.
Relevant parts of .bzr.log could help us.