Eclipse Integration (was Re: Bazaar 1.0...)

Andrew Cowie andrew at operationaldynamics.com
Tue Nov 13 11:14:37 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 12:37 +1000, Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> Should we...

I had *another* client reject Bazaar this week due to the lack of mature
Eclipse integration.

This isn't something that will be achieved piecemeal; the user
experience there needs to be _polished_ and not haphazard, otherwise it
reflects badly on Bazaar itself. Which is a shame, because I know some
people are working hard on it, but it's not the sort of thing to get
love from the core developers who are, after all, a Python mafia. :)

This is just FYI, but since you guys care about adoption, I figured I'd
put my 2¢ in.

++

For me the killer feature would be switching branches in an Eclipse
aware way. Right now I use a *symlink* in ~/workspace to the place where
I keep my branches. I have to "Close Project", rm symlink, create new
symlink, re "Open Project", and then "Refresh" to change branches. Talk
about a pain in the ass. [You have to do this because otherwise all the
launcher configurations are for a specific path and are no-op if you try
to do one-project-per-branch].

More generally, this all points to the fact that branch management is a
complex topic for all GUIs.

Really shocking for me was that the crew I mentioned at the top are a
financial company working in Perl (not Java); you'd think they'd be all
comfortable on the command line but for them programming means
in-the-IDE and tools that don't integrate just aren't going to be
considered. Huh.

AfC
Sydney