Sharing repository through a read-only web server

Ben Gerdemann gname at ibeni.net
Mon Nov 12 16:14:46 GMT 2007

Adeodato Simó <dato <at> net.com.org.es> writes:

> * Aaron Bentley [Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:37:00 -0500]:
>
> > Ben Gerdemann wrote:
>
> > > The problem is that when I try to checkout
> > > the repository through the http server, bzr is looking for files that don't
> > > exist.
>
> > > bzr: ERROR: Transport error: Server refuses to fullfil the request for:
> > > http://myserver/bzr-repo/home/.bzr/repository/format
>
> > A repository with no format file is severely malformed.  I would
> > encourage you to check and double-check that repository/format is really
> > not there, because I would expect Bazaar to always give an error about
> > such a repository, whether locally or remotely.
>
> Note that "home" is not the shared repository, but the branch. My guess
> would be that http://myserver/bzr-repo/home/.bzr/repository/format is
> returning "Forbidden" (403) instead of "Does not exist" (404).
>
> So Bazaar can't detect that the branch is in a shared-repo.

This webserver happens to return a html error page instead of the normal 403,
404, etc. numbered errors when a file doesn't exist. Could that be what is
confusing Bazaar? If this is the problem, would there be a way to work around
this? (Unfortunately, I don't have access to reconfigure the web server.... :()

Cheers,
Ben