more performance work?

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Fri Nov 9 17:09:15 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 15:11 +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 07.11.2007, 23:33 -0500 schrieb Martin Pool:
> > I've come to agree that line ending conversion should store things in
> > a canonical form, rather than just presenting the checked-out files
> > appropriately.
> >
> > I don't object to adding file properties but I'm not sure they are
> > necessary to support this, rather than a configuration file saying
> > that particular filenames should be treated in particular ways.  I
> > would think generally you'd want expansion or line mangling across a
> > class of files...
> Yes, but those settings should be per-project - not per developer.
> Things will go bad when two developers working on the same project have
> different settings for the line endings style. Just running "bzr branch"
> after you've checked out a branch should also be sufficient to
> contribute to a branch - no more local changes should be required.
>
> So if these settings wouldn't be stored in file properties, they should
> be stored in branch properties; perhaps parts of .bzr/branch/branch.conf
> should be propagated when cloning / pulling a branch for this reason?

I think that a good pattern for developing features that may be prone to
teething problems is to try and do them entirely outside the versioned
data; if it works well data will be quite rapidly gathered on how they
are used; and from that we can plan how to hook it into the system's
core.

Its true that something's like windows line ending support are possibly
doable in one hit, but thats still risky; it's a *lot* harder to change
something that is in the versioned data base than something that is
outside.

-Rob