more performance work?

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Fri Nov 9 20:05:24 GMT 2007

> I think that a good pattern for developing features that may be prone to
> teething problems is to try and do them entirely outside the versioned
> data; if it works well data will be quite rapidly gathered on how they
> are used; and from that we can plan how to hook it into the system's
> core.
>
> Its true that something's like windows line ending support are possibly
> doable in one hit, but thats still risky; it's a *lot* harder to change
> something that is in the versioned data base than something that is
> outside.

Yes, I agree that's a good pattern.  There's another increment after
that, which is touching history but in a way that doesn't require bzr
changes, and will still work with versions of Bazaar that don't have
this change.  I think it could be possible to do line endings this
way.  I think this is possible for line endings: even if we check in
the canonicalized form, that's still a reasonable form of the source.

--
Martin