more performance work?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Nov 9 04:15:28 GMT 2007

Vincent Ladeuil wrote:
> I'm both +1 and -1 on releasing 1.0
>
> Minus side:
>
> - too many bugs on launchpad, and the number is rising with each
>   release, which means that we don't spend enough time fixing
>   them. More exposure will make the problem worse,
>
> - there are still room for improvements in many areas (including
>   doc, better import from foreign VCS, etc.)
>
> Plus side:
>
> - let's face it, this tool Works,
>
> - 1.0 doesn't mean perfect,
>
> - bzr still has the reputation of being slow while in the some
>   time a lot of people keep coming to try it and keep using it,
>   let's get more people trying it and we will surprise them with
>   further performance improvements :)
>
> - we *need* more exposure to stress test and get a larger
>   feedback on what was accomplished until now.
>
> So all in all :-)

Another pro is that once it get releases, more people would be willing
to push for support by other systems (bug reports, etc...), which can be
a significant problem for migration (typically, trac users; for the
projects I am working on, this is the most often raised point).

Concerning import from foreign VCS, my impression is that bzr-svn works
quite well, and is at least on par with the two other big DVCS (hg and
git), no ? For open-source developers, I would guess this is the most
significant migration path (from SVN).

David