[Preview/RFC] win32 fake symlinks

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Sat Nov 3 13:10:17 GMT 2007

>>>>> "bialix" == Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net> writes:

<snip/>

    bialix> 2) I provide fake symlinks in format that understand
    bialix> Cygwin. So people who like to run bzr.exe on Cygwin
    bialix> should be happy. Though Cygwin itself creates links
    bialix> (with ln -s) as windows shortcuts, that have extra
    bialix> '.lnk' extension. No support for such shortcuts is
    bialix> provided because I concerned about speed. So if you
    bialix> need to create fake symlinks either on pure Windows
    bialix> or on Cygwin I provide new hidden command 'symlink',
    bialix> as equivalent to 'ln -s TARGET NAME'.

Since this is windows specific, I think you should either
activate it on windows only, hint that in the name
(windows-symlink) or do both.

    bialix> 3) To allow bzr using fake symlinks on win32 I
    bialix> monkeypatching os module. I'm hardly convinced that
    bialix> monkeypatching here is right thing, because no-one
    bialix> Linux developer will care to use
    bialix> osutils.[symlink|readlink|lstat] instead of
    bialix> os.[symlink|readlink|lstat].

We have rules harder than this one to follow...

    bialix> And I don't want forever go behind you guys as
    bialix> street-cleaner an fix all places where you write
    bialix> win32-incompatible code.

One solution will be to monkeypatch the os ones with versions
raising deprecation warnings and point people to the osutils
ones.

        Vincent