RFI: Storage efficiency of packs vs hg/git/svn?

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Mon Oct 29 07:57:51 GMT 2007

Has anyone had a chance yet to convert a large code base including full
history to packs? I recall some early figures of Robert's looking very
promising w.r.t. pack storage efficiency but I don't know how deep the
history was.

It would be an interesting exercise to get some sample pack repositories
for large projects (kernel, Mozilla, Samba4, etc.) including their full
history made available for developers and users to benchmark against. If
anyone can help with this, please let me know. We'll undoubtedly tune
packs more in later releases but I'd like to know how we currently stack up.

Ian C.