[MERGE] Use a dict to access stat cache information from dirstate.

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Wed Oct 24 08:01:53 BST 2007

Robert Collins wrote:

> I think the primary win has been made, and I'm hoping to obsolete this
> method altogether, so I'd like to just leave it. As you voted tweak I'll
> send it in if Martin ok's it for 0.92, we can manipulate it further
> later easily.

Agreed.

>> For a partial commit, perhaps we should only loop over those entries
>> instead of all of them as well?
>
> Yes, this would be a good future improvement. However, its worth noting
> that the third of my performance figures *was* a partial commit, so the
> time to populate the cache would seem to be tiny.

I did see that. So incremental commit is now 15s while commit of 1 file
is now 10s. I wonder how many of those 10s is spent on O(n) tasks that
could be O(1) instead?

That aside, really well done on these improvements. The old commit
performance vs the new commit performance are chalk and cheese.

Ian C.