bzr diff on a remote branch

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Oct 15 18:26:28 BST 2007

Stefan Reichör wrote:
> Ian Clatworthy <ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net> writes:
>
>> Stefan Reichör wrote:

>>> Thanks for the information.
>>>
>>> Any ideas when this bug will be fixed?
>>>

>>> Stefan.
>>>

>> Stefan,
>>
>> As soon as I can get to it. I'll bump it up my list of priorities.
>>
>> Ian C.
>
> Any chance that this bug will be fixed in the next weeks/months?
>
> We switched from GNU Arch to bzr for the development of DVC
> (Distributed Version Control for Emacs): http://download.gna.org/dvc/
>
> Every contributor sends commit messages to the developer email list.
> The mail contains the commit description and the revision number.
> For GNU Arch we had a way to display the corresponding changeset.
>
> The feature listed above would allow us to do the same thing for bzr.
> So we would really like to have this feature available.
>

> Stefan.

It is actually fairly easy to do from bzrlib, it is just exposing the syntax to
the outside which is a bit tricky. The problem being that 'bzr diff' has a
whole lot of DWIM behavior. (Give it multiple paths in the same tree, and you
get the diff for those paths versus the basis, give it 2 paths of 2
trees/branches and you should get the diff between the branches, with a -r
parameter you should be able to do it in a branch without a WT, etc, etc.)

If you really need the functionality right away, it would be pretty trivial to
write a "diff-branch" plugin that has a simplified UI and just does what you
need easily.