bzr v0.91 - ERROR: Unable to delete transform temporary directory ...../.bzr/checkout/limbo.

DeeJay smartgpx at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 18:09:18 BST 2007

Error occurs during a BRANCH or CHECKOUT.

During Build phase 1/2, bzr reports -

ERROR: Unable to delete transform temporary directory
<my_path>/.bzr/checkout/limbo.
    Please examine <my_path>/.bzr/checkout/limbo to see if it contains
any files you wish to keep, and delete it when you are done.

The .bzr file is generated in the target directory, but there is no
corresponding working tree.

Current bzr version is v0.91, OS is WinXP.

The branch/repository concerned was built during 4Q2006 using bzr 0.10.
It contains ~170 files, at 32 revisions. It was probably subjected to a
> bzr upgrade command, but not to any new commits, after bringing bzr
up to v0.91

Running x:\> bzr check  against the branch produces no errors -

checked branch file:///G:/bzrtempco/broken/ format Bazaar Branch
Format 6 (bzr 0.15)
checked repository <bzrlib.transport.local.LocalTransport
url=file:///G:/bzrtempco/broken/> format <RepositoryFormatKnit1>
    32 revisions
   179 unique file texts
   553 repeated file texts
    61 weaves

Running x:\> bzr export  somefile.zip
produces a zip archive that appears to contain all the files in the branch.

So, I have a branch that 'works', but I can't do any repository-level operations
on it like BRANCH.

This is all true for the branch at its current most recent revision.

There is an earlier revision level in the branch which CAN be cloned and
which sucessfully populates its own working tree. So I guess something
the in commit after that has confused the issue. Perhaps a
case-differentiation clash?
[Thanks to quicksilver on #bzr irc for suggesting this.]

How much of this needs to go on the Launchpad buglist, and is there now
any way of untangling the repository after the event?

Regards -

 DeeJay
 Leicester, UK