[RFC] [MERGE] Draft 2 of revised mini-tutorial

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Wed Oct 10 19:37:13 BST 2007

John Gabriele wrote:
> On 10/10/07, Matthew Revell <matthew.revell at canonical.com> wrote:
>> +Replacing ``john.doe`` with your own Launchpad username, type::
>> +
>> + $ bzr push bzr+ssh://john.doe@bazaar.launchpad.net/~john.doe/+junk/myproject
>> +
>> +``+junk`` means that this branch isn't associated with any particular
>> +project in Launchpad.
>> +
>
> Wait though, if I'm using this Launchpad thing to host my source code,
> seems like that source code would be associated with some project of
> mine. The reader has likely dealt with sourceforge before, and sf has
> "projects". Is Launchpad simply providing users with public home
> directories for source code that others can access, or does it also
> have projects like  sf? Or both?
>
> Is the "+" in "+junk" parsed as a space, like how a browser would see
> it? Is that plus sign required?
>
> Is the name of the branch, "myproject"?
>
> Can I use anything besides "junk"? Can it be "+anything"?
>
> ---John

+junk is special in that everyone has one, and it is the "not associated with a
project" project.

Otherwise you would have a project name. Like:

bzr push bzr+ssh://jameinel@bazaar.launchpad.net/~jameinel/bzr/my-bzr-branch

The general syntax is:

bzr+ssh://bazaar.launchpad.net/~USER_OR_GROUP/PROJECT/BRANCHNAME

USER_OR_GROUP allows groups to share branches. Which works well for "mainline"
since then multiple people can update it. (~bzr/bzr-gtk/trunk,
~bzr/bzr-register/trunk, etc).

They also map into launchpad pages with

https://launchpad.net/~USER_OR_GROUP
or
https://launchpad.net/PROJECT

https://code.launchpad.net/~USER_OR_GROUP/PROJECT/BRANCHNAME

Probably a bit too much detail for this tutorial, though.

Maybe a footnote about "+junk" ?