Announcing Cart

Sabin Iacob iacobs at m0n5t3r.info
Wed Oct 3 08:55:21 BST 2007

Aaron Bentley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I may be off my rocker, but I've decided to put together a Trac competitor.

cool, I've kept postponing writing my own thing with Django (I didn't
exactly like the way trac integrates in other web sites) because of
laziness and/or lack of time

> - - no wiki functionality (unless someone can explain why it belongs there)

As Alexander said, the wiki is very useful for project documentation;
considering the way things usually work, a reST processor would probably
be enough, with doc files versioned with the rest of the project
(although I find Trac's wiki markup the best there is today)

> - - Branches and tickets may belong to "subprojects", which are used for
> grouping purposes.  In the Bazaar project, bzr might be one subproject,
> and bzr-gtk might be another.

sorely missed feature in Trac, and the reason we finally got rid of trac
and moved to gforge (which sucks for a lot of other reasons)

> - - Bugs may be associated with revisions that introduced the issue and
> revisions that resolved the issue

interesting idea, can't think of practical uses for now, but there
probably are

> - - Bugs may have dependencies on other Bugs.

another feature that I've missed in Trac; there is a plug-in that does
it in a way, but it's primitive and ugly

> Relationship to other projects
>
> Launchpad: competitor.  If launchpad were open source, Cart wouldn't
> make as much sense.
> Loggerhead: plan to share code with Loggerhead, once we've whipped
> something usable up.
> Trac: steal ideas
>

> Help wanted
> I don't have wads of time, and I'd love some help with this.

can't promise anything, but I'll try to help when I can/have time