Translating bzr documentation

Alexander Belchenko bialix at ukr.net
Mon Sep 24 11:04:25 BST 2007

Ian Clatworthy пишет:
> Martin Albisetti wrote:
>> I've been working lately on getting the current documentation
>> translated to Spanish, so I've run into a couple of questions I think
>> are better discussed here then IRC.
>> I've added an doc/es/ folder, but the current structure has a
>> doc/index.txt in English, so this brings up the question of whether
>> the Spanish index should be:
>>
>> 1) doc/index.es.txt
>> 2) doc/es/index.txt
>>
>> If 2) is the answer, then shouldn't the current English index be moved
>> to doc/en/index.txt?
>
> My preference is 2. In the original patch I submitted, the English index
> was in doc/en/index.txt FWIW. IIRC, it was removed because it was felt
> that having an extra level of index, for English at least, was unnecessary.

So, new doc/index.txt should have either links to translated docs,
or have some functionality to auto-select language based on user
locale. I'm not familiar with JavaScript, so please forgive me if
I wrong, but may be auto-select of language and redirect
to corresponding page is possible to implement in JavaScript?

I think all translated docs in their main index should have links
to all available languages.
Because ReST allows to include files so we can put such ReST-chunk into
e.g. doc/language-selector.rst and include it in all doc/$lang-id/index.txt.

>> I've also translated the folders and files names in doc/es/*, but I'm
>> not sure if that will break any kind of automated script to generate
>> the current HTMLs online.
>
> None that I know of. The only place the directories are referenced are
> in the Makefile I believe.

I really dislike how looks URL for wiki-pages with russian text in title.
A bunch of % and hex numbers. Grrr. It looks ugly and too cryptic for me.
I'd prefer to keep URLs in ascii, if possible.

>> Are there any plans to generate .po files to make bzr translatable?
>> Can I help in any way in that aspect?
>
>>From memory, there was a spec put together on this that was serving as
> the basis for discussion.

Here: http://bazaar-vcs.org/DraftSpecs/I18nSupport

I think it requires more discussion, polishing,
and in accordance with new review policy for spec
it should go in bzr.dev/doc/developers/ when approved.

>> I'm about 30% translating the docs, would it be better if I hold off
>> until I'm finished to send the bundle with it, or would it be better
>> if I send it in chunks to other can pitch in/benefit from it?

I'd like to see and test your translations, because it affects packaging
docs to windows installers. I'd like to play with multi-languages docs
and my installer builder scripts, before next feature freeze occurs.

[µ]