new docs are not converted to html

Aaron Bentley aaron.bentley at utoronto.ca
Wed Sep 5 05:42:53 BST 2007

Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> Aaron Bentley wrote:
>
>> The user reference should be a thick book.  Bazaar should not be a thick
>> book.  As I see it, help topics are supplements to the command help.
>
> Interesting. At the moment, the advantage of fully building the User
> Reference from the on-line help is consistency. If we're going to have
> parts of the User Reference outside online help, what guideline/rule do
> you suggest for deciding whether something goes in or out?

I would suggest help topics should supplement command help

explaining options:
 - formats
 - revisionspec
 - urlspec

providing alternate command listings
 - basic
 - commands
 - hidden-commands

explain more ways of controlling behavior
 - env-variables
 - global-options
 - standard-options

explain output
 - status-flags

Examples of things that don't seem to fit:
 - checkouts
 - working-trees
 - repositories

These discuss the user model and can also apply to Olive, various IDE
integration interfaces, etc.

> Seriously, a few more dozen pages of embedded online help topics won't
> make a lot of difference will it? In comparison, if we do end up having
> the doc translated into multiple languages and added to the source tree,
> that will be 100s of pages per language.

Yeah, but they'll be in the best format for editing-- text files.  Half
of my beef here is that we're getting program code with giant inline
documentation.  That's ugly.

>>> There should be no special files in en/user-reference
>> Then why is it there?  I was shocked to find it empty.

> If it helps, I could put a README into those directories explaining why
> they are there.

Or else just create them as needed.

Aaron