Default remove behaviour

Andrew King eurokang at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 09:05:04 BST 2007

Hi,

I understand from the list that this has been debated (to death?), but
I am really not sure that marking files as removed if they are missing
is what most users want. Particularly on Windows (yes, yes, I know),
it is all too easy to move a file by mistake, then not read the commit
message carefully, and remove a whole lot of files. (This situation
gets a lot worse when said user decides to fix the problem by
re-adding the file.)

IMHO, it would make much more sense to mark the file as *missing* (as
it used to?) and not allow a commit unless the file was explicitly bzr
rm'ed or bzr reverted. (eg. uncommitted changes in working tree ...)

I think this also applies to rename.

(I think a lot of our merge issues have come down to lazy users
accidentally deleting then re-adding files, and causing conflicts days
later down the track when big merges are attempted).

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Andrew.