bzr bundle > file

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Thu Aug 9 14:51:50 BST 2007

> Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
>> Hello Aaron,
>>
>>> If you're saying that specifying revisions for inclusion in the
>>> bundle is a valuable feature, then it would be bad to only support
>>> it via a deprecated command.  If it's actually worth supporting, we
>>> should make "send" support it, right?
>>
>> Most of the times when I've used the bundle command, it was with
>> the -r parameter.  Whenever I'd send a "diff" to someone to explain
>> an idea over a review, for instance, I send a bundle which may be
>> used to integrate in the branch being reviewed.
>
> For that purpose, send's -r will Do The Right Thing.
>
> Say the target branch is totally empty.
>
> You have revisions 1, 2, 3.  You do
>
> bzr send -r 2..3
>
> The bundle will contain revisions 1, 2, 3.  The preview patch will be
> the same as "diff -r 2..3".  When it is merged, the effect will be
> the same as "merge -r 2..3".

So if I understand this correctly, if my intent is to create a
"bundle" which could eventually be applied to a master somewhere
out over the network, I have to either point to it, or else to
a dummy target branch that's empty.  But in the latter case,
the bundle will contain everything, not just the "patch"... that
seems like horrible bloat ???   Or am I missing something?