Newbie question - how to publish my repository

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Mon Jul 30 21:03:25 BST 2007

On 7/30/07, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30/07/07, Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net> wrote:
> > If you have sftp access to your server, then just do
> >
> >   bzr init-repo sftp://user@host/~/myproject
> >   bzr push sftp://user@host/~/myproject/mybranch
>
> Thanks. I don't have SFTP unfortunately, only FTP. But I tried with just FTP
> and things *nearly* worked. The init-repo was fine, (I couldn't use ~, so I
> used an absolute path) but the push failed with an error:
>
> FTP temporary error: 451
> /docroot/testproject/.bzr/repository/inventory.knit: Append/Restart
> not permitted, try again. Retrying.

Unfortunately without allowing Append, we can't write to this ftp
server.  We will possibly support that from a future format, but it
will not be for the next couple of releases I think.

Also John points out your server is a bit weird in giving "temporary
error" when it's clearly failing this every time, so the error
handling is messy.

> Worse, when I went to tidy up, I find that the files on the server are not
> deleteable - they show as having owner and group of "(?)".

That's not us, we don't set the owner.

> My client is Windows (ie, tool-poor by default) so I want to keep to things
> that bzr supports internally. But by this comment, are you implying that
> simply copying a bzr repository acts the same as a push? Surely not - what
> about conflicts?

It works as a push --overwrite, except that it would also obviously
clobber the working tree.  You can use this for a mirror, then merge
from it into your own branch.

Also push over sftp and ftp doesn't update the working tree at all.

> > Personally, I use a shared repository with the --no-trees option, so I
> > use rsync to mirror the whole shared repository at once.
>
> I wasn't sure I understood what this meant, so I went hunting. The shared
> repository tutorial on the wiki helped, but I think I see a problem. The
> assumption there (which I infer from the fact that the "Checkouts" section
> talks about unbinding and working locally) seems to be that the shared
> repository is permanently available. This is *not* true for me in at least one
> environment - I have access to the repository, but only when I do some
> firewall tweaks (which I can't leave in place).
>
> Looking at the "Workflows" page, I'd say that I expect to work in the
> "Decentralized with shared mainline" model, but with the developers (me, at a
> number of locations :-)) normally offline from the mainline. The problem is, I
> don't see a discussion anywhere of best practices for setting Bazaar up to
> support the various workflows. I'm sure I saw something like this once before,
> but I can't find it now :-(
>
> Thanks for the comments - I'm getting a better picture, but I suspect I still
> have some way to go! Assuming I reach a point where I do understand all of
> this, would contributions to the wiki be useful?

Thanks for the help.  We -- Ian in particular -- are working very
actively on improving the docs.  We're mostly putting them in the
source tree now, not on the wiki, so that they ship with Bazaar and so
that we can keep more review and structure in place.  So if you have
suggestions, and in particular proposed additions, please send them to
the list.

If you have a paragraph or five you think would be helpful, don't be
shy of posting them.  If they're not quite right we can fix them up,
and it will encourage people to add more information on the topic.

--
Martin